1 star: Find something else; save your money
2 star: Below average; not recommended
3 star: Average; performs as advertised but not inspiring
4 star: Good; worth the money
5 star: Great; best of its kind on the market

Review by Smeg36
Review Date / November 12th, 2007

Attached Image

MGN has been doing a series of video reviews on the Sprint HTC Touch. In these reviews we cover many aspects of the Touch, and look at all that is unique and revolutionary about it. You can watch them here:

Episode 1: Sprint Touch in Hand

Episode 2: Continued Touch Coverage - Hands-On

Episode 3: Sprint HTC Touch Interface Quick Tour

Episode 4: Sprint HTC Touch On-Screen Keyboard

Episode 5: Sprint TV vs. Slingplayer Mobile on the Sprint HTC Touch

I have been using the Sprint version of the HTC Touch for a couple weeks now, and have definitely developed a high opinion of it. There are many pros and cons which can't be seen in the videos. Here's a quick rundown of the pros and cons before I give my final conclusion on the Touch:

Pros

-Very small size
-Flush touch screen is the clearest, brightest I've ever used. The flush part is really nice as well.
-VERY fast. The 400Mhz processor coupled with 128MB of RAM means you'll never want for speed.
-EVDO data, with future EVDO Rev. A upgradeable. Fast data is great.
-Fit and finish; the Touch just feels like a solid, very well build device.
-HTC Customizations; I love the HTC software that is included on top of the WM interface. TouchFlo isn't just a gimmick, it works great. All the additional software, today screen plugins, instant messenger, etc. are welcomed additions.

Cons

-On-screen keyboard isn't as nice as a hardware keyboard. While it does suffice, it just isn't as fast or easy to use.
-No wifi. I'm not sure if this is really a con so much as a missing feature that some can't live without. I can live without it, but have found myself wishing I had it a couple times. Not a deal breaker in my case, but it is in some people's.

Conclusion

I guess the best way to conclude this review is to state that I will definitely be replacing my Mogul with a Touch. The Mogul has some things the Touch lacks, like the hardware keyboard and wifi. But the Touch just outdoes the Mogul in every other way I use it. It is faster, more stable, brighter screen, build quality, and overall just feels like a better device. For my use, and my personal preference, nothing to date can touch the Touch (pun very much intended, and apologized for).

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
abatis
post Nov 19 2007, 11:57 PM
Post #2

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 626
Phone: Samsung i760
Carrier: Verizon
Secondary Carrier: Sprint
PocketPC: Other

Based on your review and RT's, my wife has decided to give the Sprint Touch a try. We ordered it today with a SERO plan.

--------------------
Editor/Administrator MGN
MGN Making Your Windows Mobile Life Simpler

Main : Samsung i760 - Verizon

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Nov 20 2007, 12:26 AM
Post #3

Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

Having spent even more time with it, I like the Touch better and better every day. I'm getting very quick with the on-screen keyboard, maybe even up to the speed I was on the Mogul. I'll be interested to hear how she likes it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
glassr
post Mar 14 2008, 02:02 PM
Post #4

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,203

QUOTE (smeg36 @ Nov 12 2007, 10:24 PM) *

Sprint HTC Touch
By HTC Corp.
MGN Rating -

Rating Legend

1 star: Find something else; save your money
2 star: Below average; not recommended
3 star: Average; performs as advertised but not inspiring
4 star: Good; worth the money
5 star: Great; best of its kind on the market

Review by Smeg36
Review Date / November 12th, 2007

Attached Image

MGN has been doing a series of video reviews on the Sprint HTC Touch. In these reviews we cover many aspects of the Touch, and look at all that is unique and revolutionary about it. You can watch them here:

Episode 1: Sprint Touch in Hand

Episode 2: Continued Touch Coverage - Hands-On

Episode 3: Sprint HTC Touch Interface Quick Tour

Episode 4: Sprint HTC Touch On-Screen Keyboard

Episode 5: Sprint TV vs. Slingplayer Mobile on the Sprint HTC Touch

I have been using the Sprint version of the HTC Touch for a couple weeks now, and have definitely developed a high opinion of it. There are many pros and cons which can't be seen in the videos. Here's a quick rundown of the pros and cons before I give my final conclusion on the Touch:

Pros

-Very small size
-Flush touch screen is the clearest, brightest I've ever used. The flush part is really nice as well.
-VERY fast. The 400Mhz processor coupled with 128MB of RAM means you'll never want for speed.
-EVDO data, with future EVDO Rev. A upgradeable. Fast data is great.
-Fit and finish; the Touch just feels like a solid, very well build device.
-HTC Customizations; I love the HTC software that is included on top of the WM interface. TouchFlo isn't just a gimmick, it works great. All the additional software, today screen plugins, instant messenger, etc. are welcomed additions.
Cons

-On-screen keyboard isn't as nice as a hardware keyboard. While it does suffice, it just isn't as fast or easy to use.
-No wifi. I'm not sure if this is really a con so much as a missing feature that some can't live without. I can live without it, but have found myself wishing I had it a couple times. Not a deal breaker in my case, but it is in some people's.
Conclusion

I guess the best way to conclude this review is to state that I will definitely be replacing my Mogul with a Touch. The Mogul has some things the Touch lacks, like the hardware keyboard and wifi. But the Touch just outdoes the Mogul in every other way I use it. It is faster, more stable, brighter screen, build quality, and overall just feels like a better device. For my use, and my personal preference, nothing to date can touch the Touch (pun very much intended, and apologized for).

Just purchase the Sprint Touch. Slingbox tells that they do not support it yet. Which slingplayer software is best for it? Which did you use? They do not list the phone on their website. Thanks.

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Mar 14 2008, 02:21 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

I used the newest version of Slingplayer on their site, Slingplayer Mobile v1.5. They don't have it listed in the recommended phones section, but it works.

--------------------

+Quote Post
glassr
post Mar 14 2008, 02:54 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 16,203

QUOTE (smeg36 @ Mar 14 2008, 09:21 AM) *
I used the newest version of Slingplayer on their site, Slingplayer Mobile v1.5. They don't have it listed in the recommended phones section, but it works.

Thanks. Do you know if there is a micro wifi card available for this phone? Or, is that fiction that I've read about?

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Mar 14 2008, 11:55 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

I've seen some sites listing them, but none that actually had them available to ship. I've not seen anyone that actually had one in hand, and tried it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
abatis
post Aug 18 2008, 02:00 PM
Post #8

Site Administrator
Group Icon

I finally got around to updating my wife's Sprint Touch with the WM6.1 ROM from HTC. Very nice with Opera and the full Sprint Navigation. The update can be found here.

--------------------
Editor/Administrator MGN

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Aug 18 2008, 04:51 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

I installed the WM6.1 ROM the day it came out, and it has made an amazing device almost perfect. It adds EVDO Rev. A data, and unlocked the GPS chip, among other things. Those two features were a huge upgrade though. I'm planning on getting the Touch Diamond when it comes out (supposedly August 28th or Septempter 2nd). So that would mean I had the Touch for almost 10 months. That's a record for me, which goes to show how good a device it really is.

--------------------

+Quote Post
abatis
post Aug 18 2008, 10:18 PM
Post #10

Site Administrator
Group Icon

I may go for the Touch Diamond myself. Despite all the Sprint troubles they really have some good deals and their network is great in the USA. Also, lately I have gotten a real American to talk to from customer service.

--------------------
Editor/Administrator MGN

+Quote Post
thomasz
post Nov 24 2009, 03:56 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 16,316

interesting................

+Quote Post
chengangsheng
post Jan 22 2010, 03:18 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 17,568

I would like to have a try, seems this spreint HTC Touch is great. Hw much is is?

--------------------
I love free youtube video more than I can say.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:08 AM