post Feb 22 2005, 07:30 PM
Post #1

Site Administrator

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,609
Phone: HTC Wizard
Carrier: T-Mobile
PocketPC: HTC

Elements Interactive has released another game title for the SmartPhone, PocketPC and Symbian platforms. I had the chance to check out the SmartPhone version of this fast paced game for MGN readers. Here is what Elements Interactive has to say about Blazar:

Blazar is a classic arcade-style sidescrolling shoot-em-up game situated in space. Collect powerups, bonuses and weapon upgrades, shoot as many enemies as possible and try to stay alive!

Features
  • A unique level every time you play

• On-screen radar to see your enemies and powerups up front

• The game gets harder as you progress

• Enemies get smarter when the game gets harder

• Multiple bosses

• Different weapon upgrades and other powerups

• Excellent pre-rendered graphics

• Cool particle effects

• Control your ship with D-Pad, Stylus or Jog (depending on your device)

• Configurable controls

• Online highscore publishing

• Addictive gameplay
Compatible devices
  • Windows Mobile PocketPC

• Windows Mobile SmartPhone

• Symbian Series 60

• Symbian UIQ

Note: These screenshots were taken with Microsoft ActiveSync Remote Display and have extra information around the border that will not appear in the game.

When you start up the game you will see the main menu, which has several options including configuring the keys and configuring game options.

Here are shots of the Options, Assign Keys, High Scores and Credits screens

And these are shots of the available help. There are several shots to capture all of the information available.

So that's a lot of screenshots and you still haven't seen the game. Lets fix that right now.

And when the game ends and if your score is high enough you get to put your name on the board. High scores can also be put on the developer's website.

This game is similar to Eclipse which I already reviewed. Having played both games I can see pros and cons to both. Blazar offers fluid game play with very challenging levels. This side scrolling space based shooter definitely offers a solid gaming experience with levels that continue to increase in difficulty as you move along. The bosses at the end of the levels are not so tough they can't be beat but they are tough as you get further along. And powerups along the way help you deck out your ship and improve your chances for survival.

I did encounter one issue with the game, and that was with the controls. I have an Audiovox SMT5600 and the control pad is not really designed for gameplay. And the menu controls require you to be very deliberate in button pressing. Often I had to press and hold my action button to get the menu selection to be recognized.

The games do differ in price. Eclipse is roughly twice the cost of Blazar. So based purely on price my vote is for Blazar. Because the games are very similar it is easy to break this argument down strictly to price. But Eclipse looks better than Blazar. If the look of a game is important then Eclipse is the way to go. Basically the choice is yours to make based on what matters to you, but the gameplay is similar enough for these two games that you really only need one.

You can buy your copy of Blazar for the SmartPhone, PocketPC and Symbian platforms from ClickGamer for $6.95.

--------------------
Jim Cleek (Slacker)
Editor / Administrator
Mobile Gadget News

My Gadgets
iPhone 3GS
HTC TyTN II
HTC Wizard
HTC Touch Dual
Motorola MPX220
Motorola MPX200
HP Ipaq 5550
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:03 PM