Rating Legend

1 star: Find something else; save your money
2 star: Below average; not recommended
3 star: Average; performs as advertised but not inspiring
4 star: Good; worth the money
5 star: Great; best of its kind on the market

Review by Slacker
Review Date / April 12th, 2006

Note: Screen captures are created with Pocket Controller-Professional by Soti, Inc.

I found out about Desktop Rover when I was looking for an application that would let me remotely control my new T-Mobile MDA from my desktop, primarily to facilitate taking screen captures of the software running on the device for the purpose of reviews. However, Desktop Rover is not a remote viewing application, but rather an IP based KVM (Keyboard, Video, Mouse) without the video that allows you to use one keyboard and mouse across several computer systems without any additional hardware. But what does that have to do with Windows Mobile devices you ask? Read on!

Here is what the developer, Neslo Software, has to say about Desktop Rover:

Desktop Rover allows you to control up to 32 computers (and now Pocket PCs) with a single computer's keyboard and mouse. By positioning each computer's monitor next to (or above or below) each other, you can use each computer as if it was part of a single virtual desktop. You simply move the mouse from one computer to the next and the keyboard focus follows the mouse to that computer. Here are some ways our customers use Desktop Rover.

Use instead of KVM switch. Some of our customers use Desktop Rover instead of a KVM switch because they want to have a monitor connected to each computer, but don't want the clutter of all the mice and keyboards.

Control your laptop from your desktop computer. Many computer professionals have a main desktop computer for development and a laptop for presentations, meetings, travel, etc. Instead of using a docking station, they place the laptop next to the desktop computer, and use the main computer to control the laptop while using it at their desk.

Pair Programming collaboration tool. When programming or working with a partner, you can place two computers next to each other and configure them in a virtual desktop group. Each partner can move the mouse over to the computer next to them. They can literally control each other's computer without reaching for the other keyboard.
Tradeshow demonstration tool. Use Desktop Rover to demonstrate your product running on two or more computers? Control multiple systems without awkwardly reaching for different keyboards or mice and without constantly switching your KVM.

Simplify Pocket PC tasks. When your Pocket PC is in the cradle and you are working at your main computer. It is much easier to move your mouse over to the Pocket PC to work than fumbling for the stylus. More about the Pocket PC client.

Notice that last paragraph? It does have the ability to allow mouse and keyboard use across an ActiveSync connection (wired or wireless) to your Pocket PC device. So lets take a look and see what you get.

When you first install Desktop Rover you are asked to enter licensing information. But you can enter information to get a free two week trial to find out if this application will meet your needs.

Attached Image

Once the application starts you will see the GROUP CONFIGURATION screen. This is mine, and what you are looking at are my dual diaplay desktop which is represented by the large rectangle in the middle, and my Pocket PC device which is the small rectangle on the upper left of the dual display and is also circled. This represents the logical positioning of my Pocket PC in relation to my dual displays. This is important because it is how Desktop Rover knows where to allow your mouse to wonder off the edge of the screen.

Attached Image

Now if you can imagine sitting at my desk you might see something that looks like this:

Attached Image

You are looking at a cut and paste representation of the GROUP CONFIGURATION screen above. What this means is that when my mouse is in the upper left corner of my dual display and I continue to drag it to the left, it will eventually leave my dual display and show up on my Pocket PC. Pretty cool huh?

Attached Image

The mouse cursor you see in this screenshot is my computer's mouse cursor which i just dragged to the position I told Desktop Rover my Pocket PC device would be. So what can you do with that? A lot. Because as soon as your cursor is on the Pocket PC the keyboard is captured by the Pocket PC, so everything you click or type is captured on the Pocket PC!

Attached Image

It is a difficult concept to explain, but once you see it you will understand completely how this works. Hopefully I have given enough visual clues for you to see exactly what is supposed to happen. I say supposed to happen because initially I was unable to get the software to work at all. After working with the developer I understand a little better the challenges they faced in producing the software and we were eventually able to get it to work by using a command line option. But is the software really worth it?

Desktop Rover is really primarily designed to be used to control multiple computers and the full application will let you do just that. All you have to do is install the Desktop Rover client on your networked computers and you can control them all from one keyboard and mouse. The Pocket PC client is an extension of that convenience functionality. If you need to enter a lot of data into your Pocket PC device there is no substitute for a full sized keyboard, and The Pocket PC client of Desktop Rover works very well for that. Desktop Rover also supports the ability to take screen captures from the Pocket PC device. However, there is no remove viewing of the Pocket PC's screen on your computer. This product was not designed for that.

Desktop Rover for the Pocket PC is also pretty inexpensive compared to the remote software I currently use. Desktop Rover sells for $19 while Soti Pocket Controller is $34.95. That is a pretty big difference in price. So if you need remote keyboard and mouse functionality and the ability to take screenshots of the Pocket PC then give Desktop Rover a try. With a two week trial you can't go wrong, and the developer is super responsive to support issues. But if you need to see your Pocket PC's screen on your computer screen then this product is not designed for you.

Update: After speaking to the developer again they noticed I made a mistake in my review. Desktop Rover does support screen captures while the cursor is on the Pocket PC device, but it does not support remote viewing of the device screen. If you are reading this review for the first time the information in the review above has already been changed to reflect this new information. We apologize to the developer for the misinformation and have upgraded the rating to reflect this additional capability.

--------------------
Jim Cleek (Slacker)
Editor / Administrator
Mobile Gadget News

My Gadgets
iPhone 3GS
HTC TyTN II
HTC Wizard
HTC Touch Dual
Motorola MPX220
Motorola MPX200
HP Ipaq 5550
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:16 AM