Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> So far so good
patag
post Mar 8 2004, 06:07 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,152

This is my first real post (kind of hard to count a Firmware request as a post), so just thought I'd post my initial thoughts on the I600.

I tried the MPX200 on AT&T's network and the GSM coverage in my area (Pacific Northwest) was terrible. After a couple days, I decided to return the phone because I couldn't get call while at home AND while at work, how's that for lame?

A quick survey of the market showed that Verizon offered a Smartphone, but the only visual barrier would be initial price tag. Ouch! My company provides cell phones to employees, so the MPX200 cost $169 without any rebates. After working with Verizon to give us discounts on a business account, I was able to get the I600 for $300 with a 6% discount on monthly access.

In the end, I think this phone will be much less expensive then AT&T's MPX200. Why? Air time / data time.

AT&T charges you for air time and M-Mode time. M-Mode is based on data transfered, which doesn't come cheap, $99.99 for unlimited service.

Verizon has two options to choose from. The option I'm currently using is data access used as air time (which means, nights and weekends are free). So, when I want to sync my email (with Exchange 2003), I'm just using minutes, nothing more. If I wanted to use Verizon's Express Network ($45.99 unlimited), I could sync at 144kbps.

So, while the initial phone cost might be more, you'll spend less over the course of a year.

I've had the phone 3 days now and I'll never look back.

patag

Ps. Great site, I hope to contribute more in the future.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sean
post Mar 8 2004, 01:26 PM
Post #2

Site Founder
Group Icon

Group: Senior Admin
Member No.: 1
Phone: Cingular Blackjack
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
PocketPC: HTC
MP3 Player: iPod Nano
PMC: Creative Zen
Google Talk ID: murphy dot sean at g mail dot com

Patag,

Welcome aboard! How is the fit and finish of the i600 compared to the MPx200? I have not been able to hold one of these beauties because my local Verizon store does not carry them. I am just curious about the hinge quality, how it feels to hold the phone and stuff like that.

--------------------
Sean Murphy
Editor
Mobile Gadget News

Main Devices - Cingular 8125, Sony/Ericsson GC83 Edge Card, PSP, Creative ZEN PMC, iPod Nano, Mobile Crossing BT GPS

+Quote Post
patag
post Mar 8 2004, 07:41 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,152

Sean,

I like this phone a little better then the MPX200. While the cool black finish on the MPX200 is nice, it tends to get a little greasy and can look bad, which requires more cleaning. The I600 is not a glossy finish, so the exterior isn't high maintenance. The hinge is great, feels much more solid then the MPX200.

If your local Verizon store doesn't carry the I600, check Circuit City. My local store actually stocked the I600 and was selling it for $399 after a $100 rebate.

patag

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:47 AM