Rating Legend

1 star: Find something else; save your money
2 star: Below average; not recommended
3 star: Average; performs as advertised but not inspiring
4 star: Good; worth the money
5 star: Great; best of its kind on the market

Review by c0w
Review Date / March 3rd, 2006

I recently had the opportunity to get my hands on this pretty cool gadget. The entertainment package comes with the BTH-820 Stereo headset and the BTH-830 audio gateway that can turn any audio device (Ipods) with an audio out into a wireless music center.

Attached Image

The box contains the BTH-820 stereo headset, BTH-830 audio gateway, pair of nice closed type earbud headphones to reduce outside noise, and single USB cable with a Y splitter to allow you to charge two of the devices simultaneously, AC charger and Euro AC charger adapter. It also contains a nice easy basic instructions manual inside with specifications, button functions and pairing procedures.

The Main unit the BTH-820 is a stereo headset has the ability to provide CD quality stereo sound from a device that supports the A2DP profile (for consistent and clear stereo sound quailty), or connected to the BTH-830 media gateway. The headset can be connected to any mobile devices that has bluetooth and be used as a headset. It operates on an internal rechargable battery that globalsat specifies will last for 5 hours and 100 hours of standby time.

The BTH-830 stereo audio gateway basically enables you to connect any audio devices such as iPods, PDA, MP3 players, CD players, mobile phones or computers and transmit crystal clear digital sound to the BTH-820 headset or any bluetooth audio receiver up to 10 meters away. The back of the unit has a button which is a power button and also used for pairing the device. It also has a 3.5 mm jack. It also has an internal rechargable battery that globalsat specifies will last for 5.5hours and 100 hours of standby time.
Attached ImageAttached Image

For the past week or so I've used the headset with my Treo 700w quite a bit at work, while driving and mountain biking. Although I was not able to stream music from my Treo 700w due to the A2DP profile not being present (hopefully an upgrade will be released soon), the headset worked great with my closed type sony stereo earbuds!

Attached Image

The headset can be connected to both your phone and the audio gateway at the same. In my case, while mountaing biking I would have the gateway connected to my ipod and listen to music, then when a call would come in, the music stops and you get a ring, then press any of the buttons on the front to accept and able to talk and hear while riding. Although the output is in mono, using both my earphones made it really easy to listen in really noisy environments while mountain biking. Then when the call ends the music comes back on. This was great without having to fiddle around with my ipod or phone but just the headset clipped to my shirt. laugh.gif

Attached Image

At the front of the headset you have 5 buttons: the middle allows you to transfer calls to your cellphone while on the phone, play/pause/mute. the + and - is for the volume. The >> and << is for next and previous while playing music with the bluetooth AVRCP, A2DP profiles.

Attached Image

The side button allows you to Refuse a call, Hangup, or Stop/Mute while playing music. It also works as a power and pairing up button. On the right is the mini USB jack that has a plastic cover.

Attached Image

The back has a Hold button and the clip.

Attached Image

The top has a mic and the 3.5 mm headset jack.

BTH-820 Specifications:
Model Name BTH-820
Product Description Bluetooth Stereo Headset
Color Blue / Orange
Certification FCC, CE, BQB
Bluetooth Version Bluetooth v1.2 Specification
RF Output Power Class 2
Frequency Band 2.4GHz ~ 2.4835GHz unlicensed ISM band
Spread Spectrum FHSS (Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum)
Operating Range 10 meters (32 feet)
Sensitivity -80dBm @0.1%BER

BTA-830 Specifications:
Model Name BTA-830
Product Description Bluetooth Stereo Audio Gateway
Colors Blue / Orange
Certification FCC, CE
Bluetooth Version Bluetooth v1.2 Specification
RF Output Power Class 2
Frequency Band 2.4GHz ~ 2.4835GHz unlicensed ISM band
Spread Spectrum FHSS (Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum)
Operating Range 10 meters (32 feet)
Sensitivity -80dBm @0.1%BER
Bluetooth Profile A2DP

In conclusion I think this is a really great product for music and gadget lovers! Although I was not able to use this product to the fullest and transmit music from my Treo 700w using the A2DP bluetooth profile I was able to transmit music from my ipod and use my phone at the same time. I just love the fact that the headset allows you to connect your stereo earphones and enable you to hold a conversation and actually clearly hear it in a noisy environment. Though I didn't test the battery life, I used it quite a bit while on the road and didn't have to recharge it for a long time so I would think it would be safe to assume the battery specs of 5 hours is true. All in All this is a great product that comes in a reasonable price range of 114.99$. Its definitely a must have for gadget lovers!

you can check it out here.

--------------------
Editor | Super Moderator
Devices: HTC Mogul
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Mar 4 2006, 03:30 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

Just a thought, could you plug the BTH-830 into the 700w using a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter and be able to stream music that way? At least until the 700w update is released (which will hopefully contain the A2DP profile). Looks like an overall great product, thanks for the review.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
c0w
post Mar 4 2006, 12:23 PM
Post #3

Super Moderator
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 866
Phone: Palm Treo
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel
PocketPC: Toshiba
MP3 Player: iPod
PMC: Other

well with the A2DP profile (hopefully an update for the 700w soon), you wouldn't need to connect the audio gateway to the 700w at all. You can stream music directly from the phone to the headset laugh.gif

--------------------
Editor | Super Moderator
Devices: HTC Mogul

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:38 PM