IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fradulant PayPal email Alert..., Guess it is that time of year again...
GrYph0n
post Jan 25 2005, 04:20 AM
Post #1

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 1,097
Phone: Other
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
PocketPC: HTC
MP3 Player: Creative
PMC: Creative Zen
Google Talk ID: eric.d.jones (at) gmail.com

Just recieved an email from PayPal [support@paypal.com] with an email as below...
Dear PayPal Member,

Your account has been randomly flagged in our system as a part of our routine security measures. This is a must to ensure that only you have access and use of your PayPal account and to ensure a safe PayPal experience. We require all flagged accounts to verify their information on file with us. To verify your Information at this time, please visit our secure server webform by clicking the hyperlink below

Click here to verify your Information

Thank you for using PayPal!
The PayPal Team

To receive email notifications in plain text instead of HTML, update your preferences here.

To safely and securely access the PayPal website or your account, open up a new web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer or Netscape) and type in the PayPal URL (http://www.paypal.com/).

PayPal will never ask you to enter your password in an email.

For more information on protecting yourself from fraud, please review our Security Tips at http://www.paypal.com/securitytips

Well I went ahead and clicked the link knowing that paypal will not send you an email saying "Dear PayPal Member" (they will use first and last name, and never ask for account information). Well it took me to a very official looking paypal login page where I entered in a fake email address and password, and it told me that login was incorrect. Then I tried my real email and a fake password, and BOOM, I am logged in with a bogus password. I was taken to a page that informed me of a new instant payment method and asked me to varify my personal account information. I know that this has been posted before, but this should just be a reminder to all of you, the page does look pretty real, unless you notice the small things wink.gif. Just don't want anyone to fall victim to such things. If you recieve this email, forward it to spoof@paypal.com. I don't recommend trying your luck with logging into the fake site because my internet security started freaking out when I closed the browser with random things trying to access the internet... Time to scrub down the maching from potiential cooties.........

--------------------
Eric Jones
Editor / Moderator
Mobile Gadget News
Staff Sergeant
United States Marine Corps, Infantry
Currently using an iPhone
My Gadget History : AT&T Tilt,
Cingular 3125, i-Mate Smartflip, G-Sat BT359W GPS, Parrot Rhythm n'Blue BT Car Stereo, Logitech Mobile Traveller, & ThinkOutside BT Keyboard
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DrMadd
post Jan 26 2005, 08:35 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,955
Phone: MPx220
Carrier: Alltel
PocketPC: Other

Yeah, you gotta love it when they send you those emails. I've received several from people claiming to be ebay, paypal, citibank, etc. The sad thing is either I don't have accounts with them or I do, but not with the email address they've sent me the bogus letters to. What is fun to do is perfroming a lookup on the IP address and seeing where the link takes to you. Most of the time it's somewhere in Asia or in the case above Nottingham, Great Britain. rolleyes.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:24 PM