post Dec 6 2006, 01:19 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,455
Phone: Blackjack
Carrier: Verizon
PocketPC: None
PMC: Creative Zen

price on these phones on ebay are wafting down. cheap extended batteries abound as well. anybody care to comment? my i600 is starting to feel creaky - although still more solid than my VOQ. sticking with Verizon for the time being...

This post has been edited by jsmith: Dec 6 2006, 01:20 PM

--------------------
lonesome vzw smartphone user
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Dec 6 2006, 04:05 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

I've never owned one as my main phone, but I have played around with different variations, as well as set one up for a relative. The VZW version has EVDO, which is extremely nice. You'll wonder how you ever lived without it once you get it. The keyboard is nice to have, but not very good in terms of thumb boards. It's kind of hard to use. It's big, which is good and bad. It's great to have it big when using it as a PDA because you get a nice large screen. It's kind of annoying to have it big as a phone because it's sort of uncomfortable to hold against your head.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
jsmith
post Dec 6 2006, 10:51 PM
Post #3

yeah, the evdo is attractive. i did use an sx56 for a while but is that the same form factor? it thought it was a little smaller. i wish samsung would come out with a cdma version of their new "Q" killer that's currently a GSM phone...

--------------------

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Dec 6 2006, 10:56 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

It's a similar form to the SX56. I think it's slightly larger, but not much. The added features make it worth the slightly larger size though.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jsmith
post Dec 7 2006, 03:09 AM
Post #5

QUOTE (smeg36 @ Dec 6 2006, 05:56 PM) *
It's a similar form to the SX56. I think it's slightly larger, but not much. The added features make it worth the slightly larger size though.

that's big, it seems the $99 "Q" is still a good deal all things considered. although i'd love to get a 700w it's a little to pricey for me. i might go and get a Q if i have a really bad day with the I600. i'm also waiting for some kind of break with the new black "Q" coming out. there were some rumors of $50 Q price right around now....

--------------------

+Quote Post
abatis
post Dec 7 2006, 01:50 PM
Post #6

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 626
Phone: Samsung i760
Secondary Carrier: Sprint
PocketPC: Other

QUOTE (jsmith @ Dec 6 2006, 08:09 PM) *
that's big, it seems the $99 "Q" is still a good deal all things considered. although i'd love to get a 700w it's a little to pricey for me. i might go and get a Q if i have a really bad day with the I600. i'm also waiting for some kind of break with the new black "Q" coming out. there were some rumors of $50 Q price right around now....

If you click on the Amazon Q advertisement in the lower left on our website the actual price after rebate is $74.99. That is not bad and not to far from $50. I saw somewhere that the black Q was coming out in the next few weeks.

--------------------
Editor/Administrator MGN
MGN Making Your Windows Mobile Life Simpler

Main : Samsung i760 - Verizon

+Quote Post
jsmith
post Dec 18 2006, 04:57 PM
Post #7

these application locks i am running into on the smartphone are starting to push me into PPC land. getting more and more attractive (even more than the smartphone Q). i liked being able to open files right on the phone with my old sx56 sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Dec 18 2006, 08:15 PM
Post #8

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,486
Phone: HTC Wizard
Carrier: Alltel

I don't understand your problem. Is, or isn't, your phone "application unlocked" (as opposed to SIM unlocked)? Are you referring to your HP iPAQ h6500 that's listed in your profile or the i600 mentioned in your first post or the xv6600 the subject of this thread? I don't know anything about PPCs, but am just starting to get interested in them. Are you saying that all PPC come "application unlocked" from the wireless carrier (and/or manufacturer)?

What's the problem with opening files? Are you talking about from within a file manager?

I ask these questions 'cuz I have a smartphone and it is application unlocked so I don't run into what I would call "application locks". But, I wonder if we're talking about the same thing? Are you referring to the little message you get when you first install a program that asks if you're sure you want to trust it? After you accept it, you never see it again for that program - it just runs. So, I'm a little lost. Sorry. sad.gif

Also, again, on my smartphone, I can open files on my phone by accessing them via the file manager as long as they're associated with a program. I have a feeling this probably isn't what you're talking about. sad.gif

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post
jsmith
post Dec 18 2006, 08:57 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (runningtiger @ Dec 18 2006, 03:15 PM) *
I don't understand your problem. Is, or isn't, your phone "application unlocked" (as opposed to SIM unlocked)? Are you referring to your HP iPAQ h6500 that's listed in your profile or the i600 mentioned in your first post or the xv6600 the subject of this thread? I don't know anything about PPCs, but am just starting to get interested in them. Are you saying that all PPC come "application unlocked" from the wireless carrier (and/or manufacturer)?

What's the problem with opening files? Are you talking about from within a file manager?

I ask these questions 'cuz I have a smartphone and it is application unlocked so I don't run into what I would call "application locks". But, I wonder if we're talking about the same thing? Are you referring to the little message you get when you first install a program that asks if you're sure you want to trust it? After you accept it, you never see it again for that program - it just runs. So, I'm a little lost. Sorry. sad.gif

Also, again, on my smartphone, I can open files on my phone by accessing them via the file manager as long as they're associated with a program. I have a feeling this probably isn't what you're talking about. sad.gif

oops, sorry. i am using a samsung i600 now as my primary. i don't know if i ever set up my profile properly.

my first venture into windows mobile land was with an sx56 (which was a PPC). i could open most any attachment or file natively, word, excel and pdf's were high on my list.

i then tried an mx200 smartphone rather briefly then had a VOQ for the longest time. the voq had document viewers pre-installed, which was nice. when i switched to the samsung i discovered that there are no file viewers (i suppose you could purchase the viewers that the VOQ had) and then i discovered that most smartphones are application locked in the registry. certain types of software will return "can not install because it is not signed with a digital certificate". in fact i never get the message that asks if you want to trust the software.

sorry if this sounded confusing, i myself was blissfully unaware of this issue until i discovered that the samsung is locked down hard - can't do any registry edits whatsoever.

--------------------

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Dec 18 2006, 09:03 PM
Post #10

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

OK, I just went and looked at all the phones that I was wondering which one you're talking about and since the other two are PPCs you must be referring to the "Samsung i600 CDMA Microsoft Smartphone"? I hope someone who knows more about this phone will pipe in here.

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post
jsmith
post Dec 18 2006, 09:51 PM
Post #11

yep i600 smartphone!

--------------------

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Dec 18 2006, 10:52 PM
Post #12

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Interesting. Help me learn something, are you saying all PPCs come application unlocked?

Well, drag that your phone is locked down so tight that you can't get it app unlocked. I don't know this myself. I'm just taking your word for it. But, I did have Picsel (or was it Pixcel?...anywhoo) installed by default on my MPx220 and liked that very much. My current phone doesn't have any viewers and I haven't purchased any. I know there is a suite of viewers available for purchase (if you could install it on a app locked phone is another question since it seems to be hit and miss on yours). Look into the ClearVue document viewers if you're interested. This (for a price) would allow you to open the files you want and they have 15 day trials so you could see if it works before laying out the $$.

Back to your original peeve with Smartphones (meaning application locks and ability/inability to open documents right on the phone). These problems are device specific and not category specific. Meaning your phone has issues, but not all Smartphones have this same issue. For instance, I just said my phone (i-mate SP5m) can't open the documents you listed whereas the T-Mobile version of my phone (the SDA) can 'cuz T-Mo bundled a doc reader to go along with their phone (the ClearVue suite as a matter of fact).

So, we're all victims wink.gif of our choices...meaning service provider and phone manufacturer.

--------------------

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Dec 19 2006, 12:03 AM
Post #13

Group Icon

Yep, the i600 was locked down hardcore. They made it so you can't even edit the registry, so you can't undo the lock. Most newer Smartphones don't have that lock in place, or at least aren't so bad. The Q has some slight application lock, but it is easily removed with a simple registry hack.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jsmith
post Dec 19 2006, 01:32 AM
Post #14

QUOTE (smeg36 @ Dec 18 2006, 07:03 PM) *
Yep, the i600 was locked down hardcore. They made it so you can't even edit the registry, so you can't undo the lock. Most newer Smartphones don't have that lock in place, or at least aren't so bad. The Q has some slight application lock, but it is easily removed with a simple registry hack.

i think it can be unlocked using the same technique the nextel i930 cowboys use but it's too hard and i found only one guy who had done it to a korean version of the i600. it's too hard/too much trouble for a phone nearing obsolescence!

as for smartphone vs ppc - i think what i'm beginning to realize is that i would really prefer a ppc. i think the treo 700w is top of the heap but still really pricey at this point. that's why the xv6600 keeps bubbling up..

This post has been edited by jsmith: Dec 19 2006, 01:36 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Dec 19 2006, 04:30 AM
Post #15

Group Icon

Don't forget to check out the Samsung i730 for VZW as well. It's a great device with a powerhouse of features.

--------------------

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Dec 19 2006, 06:55 AM
Post #16

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

QUOTE (jsmith @ Dec 18 2006, 05:32 PM) *
...as for smartphone vs ppc - i think what i'm beginning to realize is that i would really prefer a ppc. i think the treo 700w is top of the heap but still really pricey at this point. that's why the xv6600 keeps bubbling up..
I wanted to know more about the PPC xv6600 and found this "Cant seem to install software easily or the phone is completely locked from putting anything non verizion on it" That makes it sound like it has the same problem as the Smartphone you dislike. I don't know if somewhere there is a work-around or if the person who wrote that was the only one to experience it. I just thought it was worth mentioning here.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jsmith
post Dec 19 2006, 10:45 AM
Post #17

QUOTE (runningtiger @ Dec 19 2006, 01:55 AM) *
I wanted to know more about the PPC xv6600 and found this "Cant seem to install software easily or the phone is completely locked from putting anything non verizion on it" That makes it sound like it has the same problem as the Smartphone you dislike. I don't know if somewhere there is a work-around or if the person who wrote that was the only one to experience it. I just thought it was worth mentioning here.

there's multiple levels of application locking. they are all based in the registry and there are now multi-tiered locks on smartphones (some types of apps disallowed). the samsung i600 would not even allow registry edits as smeg36 said (i tried). i don't know what type of locking the xv6600 has but i doubt it's the same level of lockdown. the registry edits are pretty easy to do and those are well documented and that i can deal with.

--------------------

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Dec 19 2006, 03:08 PM
Post #18

Group Icon

I'm not sure what that person's issue was, but Pocket PCs don't have application locks on them. You should be able to install any PPC software (providing it's OS and screen resolution compatible) on any PPC.

--------------------

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Dec 19 2006, 09:16 PM
Post #19

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

QUOTE (runningtiger @ Dec 18 2006, 02:52 PM) *
Interesting. Help me learn something, are you saying all PPCs come application unlocked?
QUOTE (smeg36 @ Dec 19 2006, 07:08 AM) *
... Pocket PCs don't have application locks on them. You should be able to install any PPC software (providing it's OS and screen resolution compatible) on any PPC.
Well, I'm glad I kept up with this thread. I asked that question back in post 12. I'm trying to help a friend pick a device right now and we're leaning towards a PPC so this is very handy info to know. Thanks for the clarity.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jsmith
post Dec 20 2006, 02:16 AM
Post #20

QUOTE (runningtiger @ Dec 19 2006, 04:16 PM) *
Well, I'm glad I kept up with this thread. I asked that question back in post 12. I'm trying to help a friend pick a device right now and we're leaning towards a PPC so this is very handy info to know. Thanks for the clarity.

VZW has no less than four current PPC offerings - Samsung i730, i830 (cdma+gsm), XV6700 and Treo 700W! that's gotta be a tough choice. i like the xv6700 but haven't had any first hand experience with any of these!

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:12 PM