post Sep 25 2006, 02:45 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,455
Phone: Blackjack
Carrier: Verizon
PocketPC: None
PMC: Creative Zen

i'm ready to bail on GSM and looking for the best deal on a smartphone. i see amazon has $99 Mot Q - are there any gotchas? i need family plan so am looking for as many free phones as i can get...

--------------------
lonesome vzw smartphone user
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Sep 25 2006, 02:55 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

Well, if you want a family plan the catch with Amazon is you are only allowed the MIR for one of the phones. The rest of them will be the pre-MIR price. You also have to sign up for a $45/month data plan to get that price. But if you are on a family plan and want to use data, it's going to be $45/month no matter what. On an individual plan you can get discounts on data with voice plans, but the family plan doesn't have that option.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
jsmith
post Sep 25 2006, 03:33 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (smeg36 @ Sep 25 2006, 10:55 AM) *
Well, if you want a family plan the catch with Amazon is you are only allowed the MIR for one of the phones. The rest of them will be the pre-MIR price. You also have to sign up for a $45/month data plan to get that price. But if you are on a family plan and want to use data, it's going to be $45/month no matter what. On an individual plan you can get discounts on data with voice plans, but the family plan doesn't have that option.

arrghhh! i didn't know that about the data plan requirement, i was reading their brochure over and over and thought i could get the 10mb plan ($25) for one line.

do you have any recommendations for a smartphone on verizon - even older tech is fine. i have a voq right now and i want to stay on windows having abandoned palm a year ago. i see the samsung i600/i700's on ebay all the time although i would really like to be without a stylus (qwerty preferred).

--------------------

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Sep 25 2006, 04:00 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Well, VZW has only really had 2 WM Smartphones, the Q and the i600. I love the Q. But 10MB of data wouldn't be close to enough with the Q and EVDO. I'd go through that in an hour. You don't have to add data plans to all the lines on a family plan if you wanted the unlimited data for yourself. Another option to consider, and this really depends on where you are because they suck some places and are great some places, is Sprint. Their data plans are only $15/month for unlimited. They don't have a whole lot of Smartphones to choose from though. They did have the i600, but it's still pretty expensive, even on ebay. They're supposed to get the Q sometime after December. I have the 700wx with them now and love it. While it does have the touchscreen, almost everything on it can be done stylus free.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jsmith
post Sep 25 2006, 05:00 PM
Post #5

i am switching because both my kids have a hard time getting signals with T-MO. everyone else uses verizon and has no problem. sprint is problematic as far as that goes. i don't really have a lot of use for data - aside from email and light browsing. I use tmobile tzones on my VOQ and works well enough for me. isn't there a verizon wap service as well? are you obligated to purchase data service if you get the Q via the special offer?

if i do have to bite the bullet on data, i probably will since i can use a 20% discount at work. my search continues...

thanks

--------------------

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Sep 25 2006, 05:07 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

If you get it from Amazon you do have to sign up for the unlimited data plan. I'm not sure if you can just remove it when you get the phone, but you used to be able to. You can get the Q on the VZW website for $199 with a 2-year contract, but it forces you into a data plan as well. Your best bet is to go to a VZW store and tell them what you're looking for (how many phones on the plan, etc), and they should be able to give you a decent price for all the phone. Amazon is a great option for just one phone, and the VZW site is a decent option if you don't want MIR. But if you aren't wanting a data plan neither one is an option.

The VZW WAP service is only for their non-Smart phones that don't have access to full web browsing. It isn't like T-Mobile where you can get it and hack it on a Smartphone to work.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:33 AM