Post #201

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 11,486
Phone: HTC Wizard
Carrier: Alltel

QUOTE (progolftool @ Aug 14 2006, 11:08 AM) *
Hey Samdog, great post. Are you telling me with the 2005 version, this phone works with bluetooth? Does it also work on the 2003 version?
I don't think so. The MPx200 does not have BT built in. Changing the OS won't gain BT. Jabra makes an adapter that works with the MPx200 if you really want to have BT on your phone. I think that's the only way.

Samdog said "Better Bluetooth support (dont matter)" in reference to wm5 in general - the "dont matter" part was specific to the MPx200 since it doesn't support BT at all - unless you get an adapter like I mentioned above.

Bottom line, BT won't work on the MPx200 running any OS (wm2003se or wm5, or anything else) without an adapter.

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Machead
post Aug 27 2006, 07:54 PM
Post #202

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,264
Phone: MPx200
Carrier: Other

I have some quick questions regarding the WM5 upgrade, I would really appreciate it if you guys could answer them for me

Instructions state that phone must be unlocked. I bought mine in another country and it works fine with any local phone operator. Thus, I assume this must imply that it is sim-unlocked. Right? Are there any other kinds of locks (for example, registry locks) that I should be aware prior to the upgrade?

Moreover, on the same issue, I have read a post that stated that problems may arise if phone has been unlocked by IMEI number instead of by software. As I stated, I bought mine unlocked and thus don't know how it was unlocked. Is it safe to perform a software unlock anyways?

Would SPVUnlock2 be the appropriate program for the above?

Is it ok to upgrade directly from 2002 to WM5?

Is there any way I can create a backup image of my phone in its current state as a failsafe if the upgrade fails?? What application would I use for creating such a backup image of the roms, etc?

My phone is only dual-band. I have seen posts explaining how to flash the last 256kb of the ROM to enable tri-band functionality on 1.8/1.9 AT&T MPx200s. Would I need to do this still if I upgrade in order to enable tri-band? If so, should I do it before the upgrade or after??

Regarding ActiveSync, any special considerations that should be taken into account?? Can I just uninstall 3.6 and then install 4.2 ???

Does upgrade enable MMS automatically??? If not, what must I do to enable MMS, and should I do it before the upgrade or after?

THANKS A MILLION

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Aug 27 2006, 11:29 PM
Post #203

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

I'll try to answer all your questions. Hope I don't miss any.

1) Yes, your phone is SIM unlocked if you can use any provider SIM. There is also application unlock, which you will have to do after you flash the phone. The instructions are around here somewhere.

2) If your phone was unlocked when you got it you should be fine, don't worry about the method it was unlocked. Dial *#06# to be sure. If your IMEI comes up you're fine.

3) SPVUnlock is only for SIM unlocking the SPV Smartphone. Your phone is already unlocked, and SPVUnlock wouldn't work on it if it wasn't.

4) You shouldn't have any problem upgrading from 2002 to WM5

5) The easiest way to restore if something goes wrong is to just find a copy of the WM2002 or WM2003 ROM file using Google. You can flash back to either of those.

6) If you are in the US doing the triband unlock is pointless. It unlocks the 900Mhz band which isn't used here. And not all MPx200s work with the unlock. I guess only a few AT&T branded MPx200s actually shipped from the factory with the ability to use the 900Mhz band. If you got it in another country chances are the 900Mhz band is already enabled though.

7) Yep, just uninstall your current Activesync and install 4.2 instead.

8) No, it doesn't automatically enable MMS. I'm not exactly sure what you have to do to get it working. There is a thread around somewhere detailing how to do it.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
Machead
post Aug 27 2006, 11:51 PM
Post #204

Member No.: 13,264

smeg,

Thanks so much for your reply. Got a couple of more questions.

Yes, I am in another country, where some operators do in fact operate on the 900mhz band. I have come across instructions that detail the use of MPX200_Backup and instruct to flash last 256kb of phone's ROM. However, I have seen stated in one ocassion that this procedure is meant for unlocking phone. On another ocassion I have seen the same procedure stated for enabling tri-band functionality... which is it? If it is only for unlocking sim-lock, then how can I go about enabling the 900mhz band?? As stated in my previous post, I have a 1.8/1.9 AT&T MPx200

Furthermore, following the appropriate procedure for enabling 900mhz, should I follow such procedure before or after WM5 upgrade??

Once again, thanks smeg, and everone else, for all your kind help.

Jose

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Aug 27 2006, 11:58 PM
Post #205

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

It does both. Flashing the 256kb section will both SIM unlock it and unlock the 900Mhz band on those phone that it actually works with. You should do it prior to upgrading to WM5. Just make sure you follow the directions properly and first create your own fix.img file so your IMEI doesn't get lost. If you use the instructions out there that include a fix.img file your IMEI will be erased and there is no way to get it back.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
konker
post Aug 29 2006, 09:30 AM
Post #206

Member No.: 10,956
PocketPC: HTC

QUOTE (Machead @ Aug 28 2006, 03:54 AM) *
Does upgrade enable MMS automatically??? If not, what must I do to enable MMS, and should I do it before the upgrade or after?

THANKS A MILLION

Here's the link to your MMS question.
http://www.mobilegadgetnews.com/index.php?showtopic=11062
Cheers! smile.gif

This post has been edited by konker: Aug 29 2006, 09:39 AM

+Quote Post
rvsl
post Dec 4 2006, 08:39 AM
Post #207

Member No.: 13,795
Phone: MPx
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
PocketPC: None
MP3 Player: iPod Nano

QUOTE (konker @ Aug 29 2006, 09:30 AM) *
Here's the link to your MMS question.
http://www.mobilegadgetnews.com/index.php?showtopic=11062
Cheers! smile.gif

hi. i successfully install wm5 on my cell phone. work great for a an hour. then i charge it but now the phone won't start up. i follow the steps holding the left button etc and i see it start up with the screen with the trees but it won't go any further. help please sad.gif

+Quote Post
trabbi
post Feb 13 2007, 08:34 PM
Post #208

Member No.: 14,979
PocketPC: Asus
MP3 Player: Other
PMC: Other

Hello,

this is my first post in this Forum. My english is not so good, so i hope it works.

We use 2 MPx200. The Font in the outer display of one phone ist smaller then the other.
How can i adjust these settings? I think, the homescreen theme does not effect these settings.

Thanks
-trabbi

+Quote Post
gn0m3
post May 16 2007, 06:11 PM
Post #209

Member No.: 15,394
Secondary Carrier: Other
PocketPC: Compaq
MP3 Player: Other
Google Talk ID: nerdfp@gmail.com

QUOTE (smart-turk @ Dec 25 2005, 07:37 PM) *
well in Turkey we made this upgrade succesfully and made a movie for this. It is not very very hard if you watch this movie and also you don't need any keys for installation.

Sorry i am new and dont know the rule about NOT to add rom hosting site link.You can send private message to me to have the link.

+Quote Post
D_Revan
post Dec 19 2007, 01:00 PM
Post #210

Member No.: 16,031

If somebody knows the link could he sent it with pm plz?thanks.

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  « < 9 10 11
Reply to this topicStart new topic
13 User(s) are reading this topic (13 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:06 AM