2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I got a MDA, what should I put on it?
YOUNGSTARS87
post Jul 25 2006, 01:07 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,925

Thanks everybody for the help you gave me in making my decision...

I decided to go with the MDA and got it for a great price, so thanks again.

now I have another problem... what do I do to it now?

What programs should I add? What software do I need? What modifications should I do?

Please tell me, and thanks again.

I also got T-zones added, any extra info like dowload sites or other things would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
YOUNGSTARS87
post Jul 25 2006, 01:52 AM
Post #2

Also I heard about the 2.24 rom... what is this? How do I get it? how do i use it?

help...

+Quote Post
muchomorek
post Jul 25 2006, 02:23 AM
Post #3

Hardcore Gadget Junkie

Member No.: 2,186
Phone: HTC Wizard
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
PocketPC: HP iPAQ
PMC: Other

check it out good free software for pocket pc http://pocketpcfreewares.com/en/index.php

--------------------
iPhone 3GS
SP5
Holux GR-236 Bluetooth GPS
MPx200

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Jul 25 2006, 02:37 AM
Post #4

Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

As far as the software goes, that all depends on what you want to do. There are many good games, media players, productivity aids, etc. to choose from. For initial software I always put TCPMP for videos, Agile Messenger for IM, and Sprite Backup to backup everything.

Here is the HTC support website for the MDA. It looks like the most recent official MDA ROM is 1.8.10.2.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
YOUNGSTARS87
post Jul 25 2006, 03:00 AM
Post #5

QUOTE (smeg36 @ Jul 25 2006, 02:37 AM) *
As far as the software goes, that all depends on what you want to do. There are many good games, media players, productivity aids, etc. to choose from. For initial software I always put TCPMP for videos, Agile Messenger for IM, and Sprite Backup to backup everything.

Here is the HTC support website for the MDA. It looks like the most recent official MDA ROM is 1.8.10.2.

What do you think about the 2.24 rom? Alot of people are saying good things about it.. could you check up on it for me?

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Jul 25 2006, 03:14 AM
Post #6

Group Icon

I have no idea. I don't have an MDA, and have never used one.

--------------------

+Quote Post
abatis
post Jul 25 2006, 03:57 AM
Post #7

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 626
Phone: Samsung i760
Carrier: Verizon
Secondary Carrier: Sprint
PocketPC: Other

I would install the latest ROM per HTC before adding any software as recommend by others. Also, I would consider the trial Sprite Backup to ensure you can backup before installing additional software. I am a big fan of TCPMP as is Smeg36. It is a great free video player.

I have many favorite programs it depends on what you are looking for eg., Weather, SBSH PocketWeather.

--------------------
Editor/Administrator MGN
MGN Making Your Windows Mobile Life Simpler

Main : Samsung i760 - Verizon

+Quote Post
YOUNGSTARS87
post Jul 25 2006, 03:35 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (abatis @ Jul 25 2006, 03:57 AM) *
I would install the latest ROM per HTC before adding any software as recommend by others. Also, I would consider the trial Sprite Backup to ensure you can backup before installing additional software. I am a big fan of TCPMP as is Smeg36. It is a great free video player.

I have many favorite programs it depends on what you are looking for eg., Weather, SBSH PocketWeather.

Sorry for my ignorance but my MDA has Windows Media Player on it, so what is the difference between that and TCPMP? How does the trial sprite backup work? Why the neccessity?

Also why shouldn't I use the 2.24 rom? I've heard nothing but good reviews and they say T-mobile are taking there sweet good time, so?

Also if I install a rom, what exactly happens? Do I lose programs or other stuff?

I'm new to all this, I had a nokia 9500 which was soooo.... simple. The reason why I'm so stuck on which Rom is, the 2.24 is said to be... GREAT, yet T-mobile only give out the 1.8 or something... and I want to install the Rom before I add software, ringtones, and personal info..

+Quote Post
YOUNGSTARS87
post Jul 25 2006, 03:39 PM
Post #9

Just checked my phones Rom and saw my phone naturally has the rom that the HTC offers. So can I just upgrade it to the 2.24?

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Jul 25 2006, 04:09 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

Windows Media Player works great for WMV and WMA/MP3, but doesn't support most file formats. I use it to play AVI, MPG, as well as WMV because it plays it better than WMP does.

Sprite Backup is necessary if you have to hard reset your phone. Sometimes problems do occur because of the complex nature of the phone. Software can install improperly, bugs can happen. Without a Sprite backup made you'd loose everything on the device and have to start all over from scratch. With Sprite you can make a backup to restore from, saving you hours of setup time. I'd guess it has saved me about 20 hours total on all my devices over the years by being able to restore from a backup.

While you can flash ROMs that aren't specifically for the MDA, you'd loose all the T-Mobile branding and settings. It would still work for phone calls and such, but you'd have to set up the data connections and other features manually. For an advanced user I'd say go for it no problem. For someone who is new to the Windows Mobile scene I'd recommend holding off until you get a better feel for the device and OS before performing an advanced operation such as flashing a non-Carrier branded ROM.

--------------------

+Quote Post
YOUNGSTARS87
post Jul 25 2006, 11:14 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (smeg36 @ Jul 25 2006, 04:09 PM) *
Windows Media Player works great for WMV and WMA/MP3, but doesn't support most file formats. I use it to play AVI, MPG, as well as WMV because it plays it better than WMP does.

Sprite Backup is necessary if you have to hard reset your phone. Sometimes problems do occur because of the complex nature of the phone. Software can install improperly, bugs can happen. Without a Sprite backup made you'd loose everything on the device and have to start all over from scratch. With Sprite you can make a backup to restore from, saving you hours of setup time. I'd guess it has saved me about 20 hours total on all my devices over the years by being able to restore from a backup.

While you can flash ROMs that aren't specifically for the MDA, you'd loose all the T-Mobile branding and settings. It would still work for phone calls and such, but you'd have to set up the data connections and other features manually. For an advanced user I'd say go for it no problem. For someone who is new to the Windows Mobile scene I'd recommend holding off until you get a better feel for the device and OS before performing an advanced operation such as flashing a non-Carrier branded ROM.

Thanks alot...

Where exactly do I get the sprite and etc.. from?

Also could you explain what exactly flash roms are? So if I were to use the 2.24 rom what exactly would happen?

Would everything be erased? Do explain... thanks.

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Jul 26 2006, 01:46 AM
Post #12

Group Icon

Google is your friend. I don't know the exact links, I'd just go get them on Google. Flashing the ROM is similar to installing an OS on a PC. The current OS is stored in the ROM of the phone. When you flash it the current ROM gets erased, then a new one gets put in its place. It's possible to leave your device unusable if the flash is interrupted, like the cable getting unplugged or the power going out.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Slacker
post Jul 26 2006, 12:25 PM
Post #13

Site Administrator

Member No.: 1,609
Carrier: T-Mobile
PocketPC: HTC

Let me jump in here and see if I can answer some of your questions:

1) You can find out about Sprite Backup here. That review is for an older SmartPhone version, but it is still awesome software. This should be your first purchase. Trust me, buy Sprite Backp. Just stop what you are doing now and go by it. Don't have the money? Sell your brother to slavery [Joke]. Just buy Sprite.

2) Next, the 2.24 ROM you mention is a cooked ROM from xelencin over at XDA Developers. But you need to read the entire thread before you consider flashing your device. Be informed. You WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY by installing the ROM.

The MDA is a great device. I have had mine for about 5 months I think and can not imagine having to give it up. I absolutely love it.

--------------------
Jim Cleek (Slacker)
Editor / Administrator
Mobile Gadget News

My Gadgets
iPhone 3GS
HTC TyTN II
HTC Wizard
HTC Touch Dual
Motorola MPX220
Motorola MPX200
HP Ipaq 5550

+Quote Post
YOUNGSTARS87
post Aug 3 2006, 10:02 PM
Post #14

Just want to Thank everyone for the advice they gave me!! The official T-mobile 2.26 rom came out I installed it and things are working great. Patience is a virtue!!

Any more advice on programs, games, etc... to put on my MDA???

Again Thanks!!

+Quote Post
YOUNGSTARS87
post Aug 3 2006, 10:02 PM
Post #15

Just want to Thank everyone for the advice they gave me!! The official T-mobile 2.26 rom came out I installed it and things are working great. Patience is a virtue!!

Any more advice on programs, games, etc... to put on my MDA???

Again Thanks!!

+Quote Post
lil14kid
post Dec 30 2006, 08:16 AM
Post #16

Gadget Junkie

Member No.: 9,763
Phone: Cingular 8125
Carrier: Alltel

would the tmo rom work in a cingular 2125

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Dec 30 2006, 04:44 PM
Post #17

Group Icon

Well, this thread is referring to the MDA ROM, so that definitely wouldn't work in the 2125. The SDA ROM might work, the phones are very similar. But there are some slight differences, and that would make me recommend not trying it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
lil14kid
post Dec 30 2006, 10:04 PM
Post #18

Gadget Junkie

Member No.: 9,763
Phone: Cingular 8125

if i may ask like what

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Dec 30 2006, 11:13 PM
Post #19

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,486

The SDA has another "radio" built in, it's a WIFI device. Also, the SDA has a different button layout with it's dedicated music and internet connection buttons. There may be more subtle differences, but those are the big ones.

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Dec 31 2006, 05:32 AM
Post #20

Group Icon

Exactly. I was thinking about those two differences. I don't think the wifi difference would cause any major problems, but the button layout would. I know when I had a SP3i it was essentially the same phone as the SMT5600. But if you flashed a SMT5600 ROM on it the joystick would no longer work. It's better not to try and mix ROMs and phones if you don't have to.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 11:29 PM