post Feb 21 2007, 11:44 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,094
Phone: Cingular 8525
Carrier: Alltel
PocketPC: HTC
MP3 Player: Cowon iAudio

I used to have an MPX220, and had the ability to use "any key to answer" however that any key applied only to the keypad (never had to worry about accidentally answering a call when fishin it out of my pocket). I don't like flip to answer, and didn't have to use it previosuly to prevent the external buttons from answering calls.

Additionally I was able to hit the volume button (external) during a ring and it would for the reminder of the ringing mute the ringer. It actually just muted the ringer it didn't reject the call.

Are these options for the 3125? I cannot seem to find, and wouldn't even know what to look for exactly in the registry.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Feb 22 2007, 09:12 AM
Post #2

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 11,486
Phone: HTC Wizard

I agree with you, these elements were more user friendly on the 220 (a Motorola phone). 'Bout all you can do on the 3125 (made by HTC) is on the settings menu and then under "external screen", set up your phone to lock the external buttons after a certain amount of idle time and/or after closing. But, you're right, that does not prohibit them from answering a call inadvertently and there is no way to shut off the ringer without opening the flip and rejecting the call...that I know of.

Like you, I'm hoping someone will post a way to accomplish these things with either a work-around or reg edit. That'd be great! But, I'm not holding my breath. sad.gif

In the meantime, a holster goes along way toward keeping buttons from being pressed accidentally while pulling the phone out to answer a call. Otherwise, you just gotta make sure the phone goes in your pocket with the hinge closest to the top. That gives you the most room to reach in and grasp the phone without hitting those media keys.

Sorry, I'm no help but I feel your pain. wink.gif

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post
GrYph0n
post Feb 22 2007, 08:01 PM
Post #3

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,097
Phone: Other
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
MP3 Player: Creative
PMC: Creative Zen
Google Talk ID: eric.d.jones (at) gmail.com

Well unfortunitly there is no way to have both, you can have one or the other. The only thing close to what you would want would be to turn off any button answer. Then you would have the options to mute the ring or reject the call via the external keys. I'm not too sure if there are any reg edits to it or not.

--------------------
Eric Jones
Editor / Moderator
Mobile Gadget News
Staff Sergeant
United States Marine Corps, Infantry
Currently using an iPhone
My Gadget History : AT&T Tilt,
Cingular 3125, i-Mate Smartflip, G-Sat BT359W GPS, Parrot Rhythm n'Blue BT Car Stereo, Logitech Mobile Traveller, & ThinkOutside BT Keyboard

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Feb 22 2007, 09:41 PM
Post #4

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Gryphon - you say with "any key answer" set to off you would then "have the options to mute the ring or reject the call via the external keys". How so? Which key mutes the ringer and which one rejects the call?

Our 3125 isn't in front of me right now so I can't check it myself, but would love to know how to do this - especially the ringer mute thing!

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post
morgue
post Feb 22 2007, 10:01 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (runningtiger @ Feb 22 2007, 01:12 AM) *
Sorry, I'm no help but I feel your pain. wink.gif

Actually just knowing that my complaint/issue isn't too outrageous (not the only one) does help me...and thanks! If I do manage to find a way to do this I will be sure to post it here for you as well.

I do the auto key lock now and don't really have any issues with that, but the minute that call comes in those buttons are unlocked.

I was actually going to look for a holster to aid in my accidental answering, and would love to know what you (or anyone else) use for this phone....but that is already a thread iirc so I might just take peak over there.

GrYphon:

I suppose you may be right, however I was pretty sure that the mute ringer option didn't work for "flip to answer". In any case I will give it a try later tonight. Thanks for your input smile.gif

It seems to me that if I could get it so that only the talk key could answer that would solve problems, and then maybe have the volume buttons mute the ringer. I am curious if that is the best approach to take as I hunt through the registry. Any WinMobile registry gods opinions or advice would be more than welcome.

+Quote Post
GrYph0n
post Feb 23 2007, 12:15 AM
Post #6

Site Administrator
Group Icon

@ runningtiger
Yes, if you have your phone set to "flip to answer", then your Rewind Button and Fast Forward button will give you the options to mute or reject the call. Since I am not getting a call at the moment I can't remember which is which. It is depected by graphics on the bottom left and right corner of the external display though. The one with the phone symbol and the x will reject the call, and the other will just mute the ring/vibration.

Also like to point out that on my phone, pressing volume down will also mute the ring, but that may also be related to the fact that mine is set to "flip to answer".

--------------------
Eric Jones
Editor / Moderator
Mobile Gadget News
Staff Sergeant
Cingular 3125, i-Mate Smartflip, G-Sat BT359W GPS, Parrot Rhythm n'Blue BT Car Stereo, Logitech Mobile Traveller, & ThinkOutside BT Keyboard

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Feb 23 2007, 12:27 AM
Post #7

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

My thoughts on a good case can be found here.

--------------------

+Quote Post
GrYph0n
post Feb 23 2007, 12:38 AM
Post #8

Site Administrator
Group Icon

I found these two holsters, but I have never used a holster with this phone so I can't personally comment, though I am curious.
Black Holster 3125
Rubberized Holster 3125

You also may want to check out my review of the Krusell Cingular 3125 Case.

Personally I am currently using the two piece leather case that Cingular sells, and I love it. No worries of material between the top and bottom at the hinge of the phone when it is open because the case it two separate parts that are plastic on the inside and "snap/clip" onto the phone with leather on the outside. It looks very stylish as well. My only complaint is that you can't remove the "knob" that is used to clip into the swivel belt clip (I keep it in my pocket, and only use the clip for more formal attire). See picture below...
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Eric Jones
Editor / Moderator
Mobile Gadget News
Staff Sergeant

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Feb 23 2007, 12:42 AM
Post #9

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Thanks Gryph for the tips! I can verify that the volume down button on yours muting the ring is due to it being set to "flip to answer". I checked ours last night (which is NOT set to "flip to answer", but rather "any key answer") and pressing the external down volume button answers the call - even if the buttons are set to be locked when the flip is closed.

I don't carry the 3125 and so my experience with it is very limited. I hadn't noticed the indicators on the screen, but will play with it tonight and look for them. The "flip to answer" seems like a good trade in exchange for the ringer mute feature (since the caller ID is shown on the external screen). Setting ours to "any key" was just a holdover from the 220 days and the inexperience of it's main user.

--------------------

+Quote Post
morgue
post Feb 27 2007, 05:39 PM
Post #10

As you guys already found out GrYphon is right. I have for the time being set mine to "flip to answer" as it gives me the option to mute or ignore the call, and prevents me from accidentally answering.

As I think about it now I am not sure why I can't just leave it to flip to answer. I know I had issues with the last flip phone I had (mpx220) but that was over a year ago, and I cannot recall why I found that feature unacceptable. In any case thanks for your input I guess I am just being too picky smile.gif

GrYphon thanks for your help, and thanks for linking to those cases.

Runningtiger thanks to you as well, and I posted in the thread you started about your case. I think I am going to go with that one. smile.gif

When I have time I will hunt the registry and follow through trying ot change some of the ringer setting options, but I just haven't had the time. If I do find anything out I will share what I find.

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Feb 27 2007, 09:02 PM
Post #11

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

QUOTE (morgue @ Feb 27 2007, 09:39 AM) *
As I think about it now I am not sure why I can't just leave it to flip to answer. I know I had issues with the last flip phone I had (mpx220) but that was over a year ago, and I cannot recall why I found that feature unacceptable.
laugh.gif laugh.gif Almost the same exact thought went through my head! For some reason I'd rejected the "flip to answer" option on my 220, but cannot remember why. It seems perfectly fine on the 3125.

However, after I posted above that I'd tried what Gryphon said and put it on "flip to answer" and saw the options to use the keys to mute a call or reject it...I set it back to "any key to answer" (or, whatever it's called) since it's not my phone and I didn't want any surprises for it's user. But, we were out to breakfast this weekend and the 3125 rang. My better half handed the phone to me and said "tell me again, how do you make the ring go away?". I took the phone and was all prepared to say how changing to "flip to answer" would solve this problem BUT at the same time I looked at the front display and there were the same options to use the rewind and forward key to either reject the call OR mute the ringer. I immediately muted the ringer then after the call went to voicemail I went into the settings menu to verify the phone was set to "any key to answer".

As I've stated before, I don't carry this phone so I'm still learning about it (from you guys mostly). But, check and see if for sure you don't have the option to mute the ringer no matter what answer setting you're using.

I'll play with ours again this evening just to be sure I haven't lost my mind.

--------------------

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Feb 28 2007, 09:17 AM
Post #12

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

I just verified that the mute and reject options are available on the front of the phone, when closed, using the rewind and forward media keys while the phone is set to "any key to answer". Pressing the volume up or down buttons will answer the call however...as should be expected I suppose.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:41 PM